Founded in 1993 in Gujarat, Rushil Décor Ltd. (NSE: RUSHIL) is a globally leading company in modern interior infrastructure and eco-friendly, composite wood panels that are committed to shaping a better planet. Since last four years, RUSHIL has planted over 120 million agroforestry trees in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh and pledges to further strengthen its agroforestry capacity initiatives in an integrated manner with crops and livestock to improve productivity, employment, income and livelihoods of rural households, impacting smallholder farmers and offering 20,000 skilled and unskilled employment.
Agroforestry is defined as a land use system that integrates trees and shrubs on farmlands and rural landscapes to enhance productivity, profitability, diversity, and ecosystem sustainability. It is a dynamic, ecologically based, natural resource management system that, through the integration of woody perennials on farms and in the agricultural landscape, diversifies and sustains production and builds social institutions.
With its five state-of-the-art manufacturing plants, RUSHIL caters to its customers in 47 countries across the world, providing DIY green-engineered products from agroforestry and a wide range of high-performance surface engineering solutions, thus creating smarter spaces. Rushil K Thakkar, Director, Rushil Decor Ltd., India, says “Trees are one of our best investments against the climate crisis. As a responsible organization, we at Rushil Decor are committed to promoting agroforestry to sequester carbon and broaden the social, economic, and environmental sustainability of rural development. The smart use of trees in agricultural land systems can also make substantial contributions to the conservation of biodiversity. Agroforestry can also help diversify and sustain (food) production and provide vital social, economic, and environmental benefits for land use at scale–shaping a greener planet and better future for all.”
With the rise in living standards, the need for wood is encouraging agro farming which results “farm to furniture” vision of a successful layout for the industry. Trees provide a way forward for sustainable farming and the world must embrace innovative options to maximize agroforestry productivity for mitigating climate change leading to a sustainable ecosystem.
According to industry insights, empowering agroforestry at a national level can offer significant benefits to the economy, and composite panel industries can create employment opportunities for 2 to 2.5 million people approximately. The full value chain from 110 – 115 million CBM timber (timber to furniture) can create value-added produce of $150 billion. An important benefit is carbon sequestration: the increase in forest cover and that too of younger trees will have a 2 billion metric ton carbon sequestration potential by 2050.
Growing consumer awareness and a range of applications are driving increased consumption of MDF in India, as the industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 15% – 20% from an estimated Rs. 3,000 crores in 2021 to Rs. 6,000 crores by 2026. India is a significant player in MDF, being used as a leading interior infrastructure material. Discerning consumers and modern offices who look for responsible products that reduce carbon footprint, rapid urbanization, rebound in realty, and rising nuclear families will boost MDF growth. Unlike a 70 % market share in the developed nations, MDF has just a 30% market share in India reflecting the high potential for MDF.
MDF is an engineered product made of wood fibers bonded under high pressure using thermosetting resins and wax, forming beautiful panels by applying high temperature and pressure, for strength. Many MDF qualities make it an ideal replacement for wood, plywood, and particle boards.
Various initiatives Rushil Décor has taken towards becoming a responsible and sustainable corporation
- Rushil Décor undertakes a variety of environment-friendly practices at their manufacturing units and strictly adheres to the norms of the Pollution Control Board of the State Government, they participate in and maintain Agroforestry Projects.
- They have implemented Environmental Management Systems to ensure that no aspect of the business harms the environment. Their facilities are also fitted with rainwater harvesting units to help maintain groundwater levels. The brand also planted over 120 million agroforestry trees in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh which includes 50 million trees in Chikmagalur, Hassan, and Shimoga districts of Karnataka and 70 million trees in Visakhapatnam, East Godawari, and Vizianagaram districts of Andhra Pradesh.
- ‘The fast-growing, short rotational crops: Eucalyptus, Casuarina, Silver Oak & Acacia are used as raw materials in the industry, and offer direct income to farmers, agriculture labor, and laborers, around the plantation.
- The brand also engages with rural farmers to extend advanced technical support like offering seeds and seedlings of different agroforestry species through nurseries, necessary subsidies, transportation support, training, and guidance at the factory and district centers, distribution of materials, price updates for harvesting along with market support.
- These plants procure agroforestry wood which in turn brings in sustenance for the people and the environment at large.
- While focusing on agroforestry they also engage in activities like providing lunch at old age homes & distributing books in Ahmedabad. They encourage their suppliers, contractors, and vendors to implement green policies in their processes so they collectively contribute to a greener environment.
The above initiatives have not only resulted in more income to farmers, increased employment, greater output but also caring for and saving the environment.
Technology helping in optimum utilisation of resources and lower emissions
With the introduction of latest world-class technologies, the company has been able to increase efficiency and reduce raw material cost. Rushil Decor’s modern facilities also help nurture local ancillary industries like furniture, panel, transport, and local artisans leading to significant employment opportunities. The plants are strategically located close to raw material sourcing agroforestry-plantations and hence, create sustainable livelihood, reduce transportation impact, and lower emissions, driven by smart manufacturing and automated robotic production.
The company is committed to the environment and principles of sustainable development and is initiating a variety of environment-friendly practices. Also, committed to the vision to create a better everyday life for its customers. The company is offering a wide range of well-designed, environment-friendly functional products at affordable prices and commits to delivering growth consistently to investors and employees.